Monday 23 September 2013

Energy Matters...

"The truth dazzles gradually, or else the world would be blind" 

 

- Emily Dickenson 

I was 14 when I first wondered "how do humans and horses connect?"  "How do horses know what to do when we move a leg forward or backwards against their side as we ride?'  How do they know we want them to canter versus turn right or left?  How can such small movements by the rider be understood by a horse?

Trainers tell me its a combination of repetition of requests, positive reinforcement when the horse gets it right, and correct use of pressure and release.  All very logical. Yet, in dressage the human movements are so subtle and sometimes differentiated by just millimetres that I wonder if its really all about physical actions or is something else contributing to how we connect? 

Arthur C. Clark wrote "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - is there a technology to riding?  For sure there are plenty of technical aspects to be learnt in riding, and many riders do learn the aids, proper position etc yet they don't always achieve the magical results we see at demos, or top level competitions.  It seems technique alone isn't enough!

Many of us search for that missing 'X Factor' beyond technique and can end up exploring extremes testing the limits of what a technique can deliver and what it can not. Examples include using special bridles, head collars, ropes, whips and other man made gadgets or abandoning it all in favour of working our horses using only our breath, energy or being 'at liberty'.  All extremes in action!


In developing my connection with my own horses I have to keep reminding myself that they are horses!

Sounds a little crazy I know, but it helps to re-focus me away from "technique-ing" my way through every situation.  Horses, we know are prey animals but to remember this means we must accept that unpredictability comes with working with them. So, it makes sense for us to have a variety of approaches at our disposal so we are flexible in which we use, in any given situation.

So if 'technique' is only half the equation? What makes up the rest?

What if ....energy is the missing ingredient?  At least that would be good news to those of us on a budget - it comes free of charge, doesn't need a license to use, and is available to anyone!

In quantum physics the concept of Zero-point energy, is the lowest possible energy something can have. With our horses this is not something we often explore, to our detriment. If we can be aware of energy levels (as if they travel from us to our horses like 'waves'), means we could (with practise) consciously manage our flow of energy; learning to bring it down, maintain it, or take it up as needed. (See earlier blog: Experts on; Experts off, or Hard Work Nonsense).

To practise working with Zero point energy, take hold of an orange in your hand.  Then focus your attention on using less energy to hold it.  Use the absolute least amount of energy possible. Then widen your practice to include how you grip objects and how you get in and out of a chair - using as little of yourself and your energy as possible!

Our ability to tap into energy could be our best way of being able to mirror, match and lead our horses to a place of physical, mental and emotional relaxation, and connection with us. Then transfer this to the saddle (See earlier post: Ghandi Inspired Riding).


Could energy be the missing ingredient in the ultimate connection between horse and human? Could the answer to some of the following questions be found in working with energy?...

  1. Has my horse checked out mentally or is he/she playing games when on the lunge? What does the difference look and feel like?
  2. Is he/she paying enough attention to me to pick up on any small change in 'me' that I make? Or, am I invisible to him?
  3. Am I being consistent? Clear? Is my timing good? 
  4. Is my energy low, medium or high? How do I know?  Does my horse notice the difference?
  5. Do my horses believe me; my requests,  believe and trust in me? 
  6. Do I change my energy when I get the right response from my horse?
  7. Can I consciously change and direct my energy?

In my Parelli work I'm encouraged  to work with the concept of "Chi" (life force/energy) to learn to bring it up, or down.  A typical practical application is to bring your Chi up before asking for an upward transition.  "Belly breathing" means we can do the very same when in the saddle.

Just as the universe gives us lots of 'clues' about the direction to take (or not) in life, we can give energetic clues to make it easy for our horse to do the right thing when we ask, BEFORE we ask it.  That's a concept I like.  Sounds fair, compassionate and ethical (a subject for another blog, another day)!

I love watching out for signs in my horses of a lack of even, consistent energy flow. Grace jumping into trot suggests she hasn't worked out yet how to do that transition smoothly. Her body must have tension in it.  She could of course lack physical strength too. Rather than 'get at her' or get frustrated with my own skills, thinking about energy means I have a new language to explore: "Is her energy forwards enough? Is she thinking forwards? Where is my energy sending her and how?"

I love the synchronicity of the concept of working with energy even as I write.  For the last week my own energy level has raised (consciously) by some amazing yoga, meditation work and reiki while on holiday in Mauritius.  As if to match that energetic change in me, life has already opened up some great new opportunities in a matter of days.

Taking the time to connect with a bigger energy field in me and in the environment around and observing my breath without trying to change it, are great experiences to bring back and apply with my horse work.  It began today!




Holidays are rejuvenating. They provide a rare opportunity for us to slow down and recover our mental and physical energy.  In yoga we learn that tension is your enemy.  To get a deeper stretch we have to accept, breathe and relax.

Yoga is a whole body and mind experience. It is a very personal journey.  In Tai Chi we slow all our movements down to almost slow motion pace. If we want our horses to think all the way down to their feet, to move through stress and to be responsible for manoeuvring obstacles, then moving our own energy around, and eradicating any physical tension must be of benefit in helping our horse to do the same, while we are together.

Horse training means making sure we have the 'whoa and the go' firmly in place before we embark on riding! My priority is checking out the brakes; half halts, disengaging the hind quarters etc. But, can we do the same within ourselves? Can we easily change direction or perspective, or do we always watch TV from the same chair?  Can we easily stop and do less? Give in to do nothing? Stop thinking and focus on our breathing only? Try it for 15 seconds! It is hard!

Parelli and Yoga both honour the principles of starting where you start, work slowly and progressively- accepting where you are and not comparing yourself with others. It's the journey not the destination!

I'm convinced as we evolve in our understanding of horses, and as we wake up to a higher level of self awareness, that working with energy will become an 'old fashioned' tool that every horseman uses.  In the words of Einstein...


"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it"

... which I hope means there's more to discover that will take us beyond working with energy into new realms we aren't even yet considering - except in our imagination!


2 comments:

  1. Love this - that's why I started Tai Chi - I want to have more understanding of my energy and I think if I can ride Tai Chi, then... well, magic... My mind is full to bursting with all this and I feel like there is some... synchronicity missing... when that comes it will come together, integrate, make sense - for now, it is just exciting to explore... Sorry... waffle... but I am so exhilarated to read a post that covers territory I have also been exploring! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you x Have you heard of Jenny Rolfe? I'm spending a day with her in November to explore how she uses breathing to ride her Spanish stallions! Want to come?

    ReplyDelete