Sunday 17 November 2013

Experts On; Experts Off?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” 

 

Its madness to think we have all the answers we need when looking after our horses and dealing with the challenges that will get thrown at us.  It's crazy to think we even know what were doing with our own lives half the time!  I know I dont!

I was thinking about how this time last year I was learning about "wax on and wax off" from the very talented and humble cowboy; Mark Rashid.  I was attending a riders introductory course to Aikido combining the principles of softness, self defence, and how it could apply to our work with horses.

At the end of day 3, I returned home excited to put some of what I had learnt into practise. I took Grace out and lunged her in the damp, dark December evening.  It was without question the best lunge work we have every accomplished; magical.

It was as if we were connected by telepathic thought.  By simply concentrating on my energy and sending it out in spiral waves from my core out towards her she responded.  I hardly spoke.  No sounds, clicks, Bruuuups, or whip flicks.  

...The best lunging and 'being in my body' experience ever! 


Why was I drawn to this course?  Why do certain people seem to come into our lives just when we need them?

In 2012,  I had invested time, money and a lot of time and patience discovering the power and value of working with Essential oils and dried herbs to improve my horses health.  For good reason! Over a  5 day period Essy's body went from having a few small harmless looking lumps dotted about his body...




...to a few more slightly larger looking lumps...


...to full blown hives head to hock!


He remained like this for almost 2.5 months before Dandelion Root and a liver tonic fixed him after a visit from Naturally Animals. Up to this point I had spent a fortune with tradtiional medicine and veterinary advise to find a cause and/or cure.  Nothing made any difference.  Then 4 days into the Liver Tonic from James Hart and the Dandelion Root from Naturally Animals, the hives had gone!  Completely!   They haven't returned.

Needless to say the help I received from Animal Health Practitioners - Catherine Edwards was priceless!  Essy LOVED her visits (seen below)...



The best medical help for my horses I have ever experienced with only health benefits and no side effects!

Keen to learn more about what other resources are around to help us manage our horses health (without resorting to vet prescribed drugs) I came across Red Light Therapy.  The only cure found to date in the USA for the West Nile virus.  Impressive!   Just go to the Success page on the website to read some of the incredible stories of healing and pain relief.  My light goes on any injury, swelling or sore area.

I promise you that reading about this product will convince you of the need to find out more!   I've even got a torch at home too and grab it any time I have an ache or pain.  Apparently it works like a facial and even plastic surgery - we'll see!

To see how quickly a horses body responds and self heals if given a gentle nudge
 in the right direction by a wave generating light is "Gob smacking" each time I observe it.



Without doubt the last two years has been peppered with 'equine experts'.  As I reflect on who Ive met and what I've learnt from them, I have to include another "biggie" from 2012.

Wonder woman Kat Jay Equine Podiatrist trained in KC La Pierre's teaching joined the team in April 2012.  I can't remember life without her! She has kept me strong, on track and to plan.  I found her having stumbled across the amazing and compelling work of K C La Pierre in the USA - what he doesn't know about the horses' hoof isn't worth knowing!

Kat opened up another world of knowledge to me as we watched with amazement the miracle of Grace's feet transforming.  This was followed by the phenomenal results of Essy and Solar going barefoot after 20 years of being shod.  Risky for so many reasons, but has passed without incident.   

I have felt embarrassed and down right ashamed of how little I knew about equine hooves before embarking on this journey of knowledge. We know so little about how to care for our horses's feet or the choices we have as responsible owners. My advice please don't mistake the barefoot brigade for "a bunch of out with the fairy hippies".  The science and knowledge is robust, if only the farrier community embraced it more and offered shoeing and podiatry in their tool kit.  Maybe one day...

A tiny fragment of the physical foot transformation of Grace is captured below.

1. Grace aged 6 - Right Fore April 15th 2012 when her front shoes fell off and I saw what was beneath!





2. Grace aged 6 Left Hind in the hands of a farrier with toe chopped off!  


Kat nick named this hoof "Club Foot"- you can see why as she has no toe - this is neither normal or healthy for a horse but sadly I see it on horses around me a lot!  Normal doesn't mean it is right!













Both Feet today.... 


























The saying is... "No Foot; No Horse"...

 NEVER has this been demonstrated better than with my horses.  
 An inspiring experience to witness.

Not much need be said about Margrit's life changing visit to Essy earlier this year.  It resulted in the conception of this blog! Since, Essy is a different horse and his video of that meeting can be found on youtube.

Our relationship is complete.  My old mum is now a blood brother to him and I consult with him on everything knowing that he actually does understand.


He is a life treasure!


 

It is often said that one road swiftly leads to another... 


After Margrit's visit and with her help, I met Sue Devereux  - a vet who uses acupuncture and is a chiropractor.  For over 2 hours she worked with each of my horses and put to shame what I have seen others, with similar job titles do.  No bone was left un-touched, re-mobilised and examined.  Each horse responded differently, each swiftly and honestly.  

Noticing physical changes, muscle re-balancing and behavioural change in front of your eyes is something I highly recommend!

I am sure that if you are reading this blog youll think I am either "made of money" or have "more money than sense".  Neither are true (I hope)!  I think the last 24 months has been a life works in the making.  Every penny spent has been worth it.  It's in part been a by product of my horses reaching their twenties.  It's also been a personal journey for me in terms of really testing what is important to me for my horses and why they are in my life.  It's not all about riding them - that's for sure as I've consciously sacrificed that to give them healthy feet and to respect the messages they shared via Margrit.

I am now a self confessed disciple of barefoot and herbs and oils and the red light therapy.  However, I DON'T believe they are the only solution to a situation or a panacea for all ills.  If shoeing my horses was the only way to relieve pain; I'd re-shoe again.  If the difference between life or death required a man made drug versus a herb I'd say yes to the drugs.  However, until either of those two circumstances happen (hopefully they never will) I wont shoe or administer man made drugs. 

Some might say that ....

"to let yourself be guided by experts is always a recipe for disaster" 

I would agree - if you are letting experts make your decisions and bully you about!  But,... If you maintain responsibility and stay awake and alert to evaluate your options, the logic and the proof behind what experts tell you, you'll do alright and their help will be invaluable.

I am eternally grateful to my extended equine support team for helping Essy with his Uciteria, Solar with her fibrotic myopathy and Grace and I with our ridden work.  We wouldn't be where we are today - happy and healthy, without them.  This Blog wouldn't exist either.

Most of us at some point in caring for our horses will need the support of others. My advice for choosing experts is this:-

  • They must want to understand YOUR aspirations for you and your horse 
  • Ask you LOTS of questions
  • They should know your values i.e. what's most important to you about having horses in your life 
  • Find out what you want for your horse; long life, comfort, safety, ...what?
  • Have a sense of humour and not take themselves too seriously!
  • Be considered rather than obstinate in their views 
  • Be able to explain their subject in depth with up to date research and back up
  • Be passionate about their knowledge and techniques but not religious about thrusting it down your throat!
  • NEVER make you feel judged, small, stupid or inadequate in your care for your horse
  • WANT to help YOU; want to WORK with you
  • You should look forward to seeing them / speaking with them
  • You should never feel the desire to 'count up' how much money you've spent with them and question their value for money!

After this everything else should just fall into place! Ta da!


2 comments:

  1. I have a Red Light Therapy torch too!

    And thanks so much for your help with the oils. Walle likes Rose and Violet as well as chamomile, Peppermint and Seaweed - and is starting to get into the Neroli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that he is now into the Neroli! You are 'peeling back the layers'!!!

    ReplyDelete