Sunday 23 November 2014

Poo! Poo! Glorious Poo!







When Grace acted as if she had Colic two weeks ago, I eventually went home having seen her symptoms greatly reduce and one pile of poo emerge!  Phew! 

I didn't think we were totally 'in the clear' but I went home to grab something to eat on the following condition:

 - The yard manager would check on Grace in 1 hour and call me with an update on if she had done any more poos.  I drove home rehearsing what would happen next based on one of two scenarios...

Scenario 1) Grace would have done more poo and I would sleep in my own bed, not the stable with Grace!

Scenario 2) Grace would not have done any more poo and it would be time to call the vet and drive back to be with her.

One hour later the call went as follows:

"Grace has not done another poo since you left, but nor have any of the other horses..."

Now I wasn't expecting that scenario!   The Yard Manager and I decided to wait for another 30 minutes as Grace was calm, and behaving normally, before grounds for panic set in.

30 minutes later, and Grace was happily delivering what every horse owner craves when colic symptoms have been at play - Poo! Poo! Glorious Poo!



The lesson learnt is that horses will often surprise us.  Often 2 options isn't enough and we must push to consider more options and explanations whether that's for our horse's behaviour, or our own; at the stable or in the office! 

No comments:

Post a Comment