Monday 12 August 2013

Let Food (or Parelli) Be Your Medicine said Hippocrates!

Last night I was asked "If I miss riding" (given that Essy and Solar Sue are retired and Grace is currently not in work).

I thought for a second then realised that actually "no; I don't'!

I do miss playing polo.  I miss some aspects of riding such as the thrill of speed and power, and I do miss looking forward to riding, but because I expect to be riding again, I've not considered 'not riding', until tonight. 

So what is my 'food' equivalent for my well being if I'm not riding? If we aren't riding our horses what's the point of having them?

Truth is I'm having a blast just enjoying spending time with them, observing them,  'being' with them,  sitting in the field with them, watching them graze, learning Parelli, practising 'in-hand' and letting them self select their herbs.

Honestly I don't know how I ever found the time to ride in the first place!

My summer has been full of 'mental and soul food' : I've had new horizons and learning opportunities open up for me, including Animal communicators, Herbalists, Homoeopathic Vets and inspiring women saving Pandas, Lions and Whales.

I've been on courses that have expanded my awareness into all sorts of new directions that are nurturing this blog. I've been joined by a new found interest in horses from my elderly mum, and we've been on walks with the horses exploring the property.

My knowledge of food as a medicine for my horses has come on leaps and bounds after time spent with James Hart: a wonderful man whose career is a work of art for horse health and well being.  What he doesn't know about herbs isn't worth a bird song.

A day spent brewing herbs in neat Gin really was my idea of  'navana'!


As an example, I learned....
  1. Ginger has over 500 compounds in it - so much diversity that it's resistance free
  2. St John's Wort is prescribed 10 x more in Germany than Prozac as an anti-depressant
  3. Nettles prevent kidney stones
  4. Ragwort is a bi-annual so once it flowers and dies it's done
  5. Comfrey is superior to diclofenac in studies conducted in 2007
  6. Valerian is FEI banned because it works as a calmer
  7. Products with extract ratios higher than 1:10 is a waste of money
  8. Neem Oil and Wormwood are great for Fly control
  9. Raw cabbage (not red) is great for ulcers
  10. Nettles have higher Vit C level than any other fruit
  11. Calendular Macerate prevents proud flesh (testing this out with Essy's head wound now)

Instead of riding, time spent hand grazing Essy for 2 hours a day has given me plenty of thinking and observation time.  It's been a tonic to have the chance to watch the clouds roll by;  a murder of crows pick at a field; rabbits scampering around and Red Kites call as they soar above. 

I've read books while we graze and composed blogs in my head. I've noticed Plantain now growing in the fields, and noted which of my horses savours which parts of a thistle plant.

As Pat Parelli says "the best place to develop a relationship with a horse is on the ground".  That's lucky for me right now!  He also says "Relationships first".

There are days where I feel my ridden work has for sure gone forwards one step and backwards 3 steps! But our relationships the four of us, and the three of my horses together, has grown notably.

If I am to put principles into practise that resonate like the Parelli "Good, Better, Best, never let it rest" concept, then I'm reminded that where we are today is heading towards a better place, right before the best of places, and once we're there there, they'll be another level to start us off again.

Today, Grace couldn't maintain mental stability in her circle pattern work on a long line. Whether or not I miss riding; I'm not going to get on her when something or nothing sets her off and both front feet go vertical into the air.  Control over my horse's feet is important to me before riding Grace again.

The pair of us need to get our act together if we are to be partners when I'm in the saddle.  Grace chooses when to pay attention. I drive my car drifting in and out of attention! Neither of us have our mental game together yet.  Time is the one thing that I want to use to our advantage so that we can come to understand each other better and both grow smarter along the way.

The food that I want to be my medicine is that in whatever my horses and I do, that my horses get all the credit and none of the blame and we all have fun in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment