Wednesday 16 October 2013

A Modern Day Moral Dilemma...

To Ride or Not To Ride ...?


Do you ever hear a voice inside your head asking...

"Why am I riding my horse?  
I know horses weren't put on this earth to have saddles and humans on top of them..." 

This is my current moral dilemma! 

Its a complex question leaving me not sure which way to turn for the best.  Who do I obey? Convention, tradition and the norm?  Or, follow natures lead and leave our equine friends alone, free from all the adverse effects that riding brings?

My decision is easier for my older horses; Essy and Solar who, both now in their 20's deserve a quality retirement - we only lunge, long rein or do a little Parelli to stay mentally awake and physically toned. 

Essy made it very clear to Margrit that he has always found it 'hard to move' with a saddle on and didn't want to be ridden anymore.  He's not had a saddle anywhere near him since, nor will he. Morally what choice do I have?  I'd never go back on my word to him especially after such a humble plea. 

The dilemma however is very real with my young horse Grace, now aged 8.

I have recently become obsessed with horse's backs.  Last year my obsession was hooves (more of that in a future blog).  Wherever I go my eyes are drawn to backs.  It's horrific to see the reality of what faces you when you stop and look...

Saggy backs, weak muscles, no top line, muscle damage and plenty of muscle wastage where the saddle sits.  Many naked horses actually look like they are still wearing a saddle - so ingrained is the muscle damage.  We take it for granted, barely notice or actually think that is OK because it is after all the NORM!

Then along comes a horse like Grace whose back in contrast is strong, supple, toned and free of pain.  Yes, physios and chiropractors have had nothing to do on her back commenting on how "unusual" it is to find in a horse, and not wanting to 'waste my money' with unnecessary treatments.  So, now that I am  preparing to get back in the saddle with her after a break for her seedy toe to repair - I'm torn!  Is it the right thing to do?





Ive got lost in my own morale debate which has spun off into other directions including 'should we keep dogs indoors?'  'Should I eat meat?'  'Should the human race fly?'

Because we CAN - humans have chosen to do so many things. If we weren't here (on earth) what wouldn't have happened that has?  My goodness how long have you got?

The closest analogy I identify with when it comes to riding or not, is our use of natural resources; gas, oil, wood.  Wood was not put on this earth to be burned.  Naturally occurring wood provides direct benefit to the earth through its production of oxygen.  We then come along and deforest it, using it for our own domestic or commercial purposes. Surely this is similar to horses.  They were perfectly fine in their wild herds then we came along and used them for transportation, wars, communication and agriculture.  Finally using them for recreation and sports - all our own purpose and design.

I'm not sure what the horse's 'direct benefit' to Earth was in the wild.  I'm sure experts and historians will know, but I am curious where it is all going?  We're now experimenting with cloning horses.  Why?  Haven't we go enough horses, or enough genetically great breeding lines?  Will we continue to do things outside of the laws of nature, simply because we can? Have we lost the spirit of hope and reliance and a bit of luck?  Since when was Mother Nature so out of vogue?

I know we can't turn back time but we can keep re-visiting what we do and why?  We can consider what is best for our horses on a case by case basis just as we chose to reduce our carbon footprint - on an individual basis instead of doing nothing and hoping others will do it all instead!

Will I ride Grace?  Yes, I believe I will.  I will do so with a strong plan of action to manage her back as I do.  It will be my most important priority.  I have never ridden her more than 4 times a week (simply to save her back) since I bought her, so that will continue to be our plan.  She will continue to be warmed up and cooled down properly.  I will always carefully feel and inspect her back before tacking up.  If she's sore, or tight and I can't release it with gentle massage, we won't even tack up!

She will have her monthly massage along with my other two horses.  Its' great feedback on how toned her muscles feel under an experts pair of hands.  We will also have saddle checks every 6 months or as her weight or shape changes.  I weigh my three every Sunday (along with temperature checks, membrane checks, respiration etc).  That way I can respond to any change quickly!

I rarely ride for more than half an hour. I'm happy with half an hour of quality work, if we are both relaxed and still comfortable.  But I won't obey modern conventions of keeping riding for an hour to get my money's worth or because that's the norm!  Who cares? Because its the norm does that make it right or good for the horse?

Riding with lots of breaks, to stretch, relax out muscles is key to keeping backs soft and muscles free of tension.  Both in me and in Grace.

After riding I massage her back and brush it to re-stimulate the circulation - anyone who believes a saddle strapped across your back with a 10 stone rider on top doesn't limit blood circulation must be bonkers! 

She'll have as much turn out as time and daylight will allow until April when she'll be out at night again which keeps heads and necks down, and top line relaxed and in a natural stretch for 16 hours a day.

Beyond these common sense practices I'm open to ideas.  I live in hope that her back continues to look like this....


No comments:

Post a Comment