Sunday 14 September 2014

Silver Linings

In an earlier posting I reflected on the joy of seeing my herd all turned out and living life together. (See post called Musical Fields).

Two weeks on, and the situation changed. 

At first it seemed like an absolute disaster - I got the call to say that Grace and Solar had had a fight and of course (as predicted) Solar came off worst. 

I left my desk and drove straight over trying to stay calm whilst worried about injuries both physical and emotional.  I also had time to worry about what I'd do now with my herd and why on earth this happened less than 24 hours before I was to take a 12 hour flight for my annual holiday, rendering me some considerable miles away on an Island off Africa!

Luck however was with us all that day.

The injury to Solar was on flesh not bone.  Thank goodness my herd are all barefoot and Grace's double barrels are high ones! 



The skin although scraped bear and looking sore, was NOT punctured and so stitches and vets were avoided.  Something to be very grateful for!

Solar and Essy were both head down munching grass as if nothing had happened when I arrived.  Normality for two was at least restored.

Grace on the other hand who had been removed from the field (at my request) was in her stable sweating, biting, rearing and bucking.  Not a sight I wanted to see.

Instead of (as I had imagined) rushing to Solar to inspect the damage, it was Grace who needed my attention and support.  She was so upset.  Whether or not she was upset at what happened, or at being brought in, I couldn't be sure.

The yard manager's partner was sitting next to her stable to provide some comfort. (First hero of the day).

I grabbed some calming essential oils, explained to her that I loved her, and that it was no body's fault what had happened, and lead her out to hand graze.  She calmed down.

The yard manager was a saint and the second hero of the day.  She brought her horse Toastie in from the field for companionship for Grace and we all hand grazed next to the field with Essy and Solar in.

With calm restored and the old woman quickly at my side, (hero number 3 for sharing my worry),  I was able to check out the wound and use the red light around the impact area, then apply seaweed oil onto the wound, before a layer of Green clay with Yarrow oil mixed in.



After much deliberation, I felt it was time to walk Grace back into the field, on a halter, held by Chelsea. Above anything else at that moment I wanted Grace NOT to feel punished in any way.  I know we should avoid implanting human emotions onto our horses but it was a strong instinct and I had to listen to it.

The hand grazing seemed fine, nobody really paid much attention to anyone.  All 3 eat grass in the field together with one human present.  I remained out of the field closely watching and observing.

As this was to be my last afternoon with them whilst I was away for 2 weeks,  I knew I had to make a decision - put them back together and risk them getting on or not, or move Grace out ?

At the forefront of my mind and decision making criteria was:-

1) the horses safety
2) their emotional well being
3) avoiding Grace feeling she was being punished 
4) minimising risk of problems for Chelsea whilst I was gone
5) minimising my stress levels whilst away (If I could even contemplate going)!


I knew that I had to be brave and risk putting them together, whilst I was here, to see if the 'tiff' would now have settled the pecking order of the herd. 

On a mission to avoid taking the easy option out, we put Grace back into the field loose and watched close by.

Grace once let off the lead rope, trotted over to the other two, tossing her head as if to signal her presence and resolve.  The other two took no notice.  So far ok!

For 15 minutes all seemed quiet in fact at one point Grace and Solar grazed next to each other and I began to feel optimistic that herd life could resume.  (This was "a first", as usually Essy always placed himself between the two girls).

Then suddenly it changed and Grace and Solar were butting up bottom to bottom, both back legs about to let rip again.  This time, Essy (bless him) decided to get in between them as if trying to intermediate and almost got kicked in the process.

That was it! 

In a nano-second both Chelsea and I said 'enough'.  We can't now risk Essy also getting injured by taking on the role of peace envoy.  Decision made; they wont be turned out again as a herd. Sad as it felt, but SAFETY has to come FIRST!

After some deliberations and weighing up several alternatives, we agreed to move Grace to a different field, away from the twins.  I was anxious.  I love the field she was to be turned out into but was still plagued by feelings of guilt that she was being 'sent packing'.  Bless her when all she did was retaliate to Solar's constant chasing her off routine. 

But, when you have an amazing yard manager who is sensitive to your stress, the importance of horse safety but also to a horse's happiness and emotional well being, suddenly problems resolve themselves.

Next to Grace in her new field, would be Toastie the 18 year old ex polo pony who Grace seemed to strike up a bond with from day 1.  It was in fact Toastie who had raised the alarm that a fight had kicked off by calling and screaming out loudly when Solar and Grace had "a go". 

Now, for the third time that afternoon, Toastie would come to the rescue and move fields to keep Grace company next door.    In the process, Chelsea and Toastie proved not only to be my life savers that day, but marriage saviours too! 

We decided there was no time like the present to put this plan into action.  The result ..... beautiful!



Grace, immediately went off round the edges of her field as I've seen Essy and Solar do so many times, in the most relaxed and flowing canter.  At times she burst into a full gallop - the first time I've ever seen her gallop and the first time she's had the space to do so.

Briefly I was worried she was galloping from anxiety but with her tail carriage high, and body temperature amazingly cool, she seemed to be running because she could, it was time to express herself without 'minding her manners'!

From that afternoon, they began mutual grooming over the fence.  Since then they have been allowed to have an hour together in the same field, gradually increasing that time together.    A week on and they have blossomed together.

Toastie and Grace that 'silver lining' afternoon!

Skillfully building up their relationship under Chelsea's watchful eye they are now cohabiting together,  just one week on. They even had a sleep over under the stars to cement their bond!

What went wrong with my three being turned out together?   I'll probably never know.  Some possible explanations include...

1.  Two is company but 3 is a crowd
2.  Two who have bonded together for 15 years is too tight a bond to disrupt with a 3rd member
3.  Bad luck
4.  Bad timing
5.  Jealousy
6.  Something else

I don't know.  Prior discussions with equine behaviouralists had all confirmed it shouldn't be a problem.

It could be that having Grace on a different routine each day didn't help.  I had kept her on a timetable of out during the day and in at night.  So, each day she left Essy and Solar in the evening and each morning she re-appeared.  Was this too disruptive?  Did it create resentment from Grace and/ or Solar?  Or was Essy's fickle nature as he shifted allegiance and grazed 'up close and personal' along side Grace, simply too much for Solar to accept? Again, human thinking I know....

Perhaps life for Solar just didn't feel fair, or easy anymore?

For three such placid, calm natured horses to not get on is a shock to those who know them and have worked and lived with them.  To me it was not a shock, although after 2 good weeks the timing did catch me by surprise and I had began to believe we were in the clear. 

It was the age and difference in size that bothered me the most and had always stopped me from turning them out together before now.  In fact, had they not made the decision for me two weeks earlier, I doubt I'd have had the guts to put them all in together. 

We try, we learn, we forgive ourselves and move on.

If anything, events like this just go to show that there is a silver lining on every dark cloud. 

Now Solar has Essy all to herself again - separated only by air!

Essy and Solar back as a twosome


Essy doesn't have to wear his "Mr Brave" face!

Grace has a new friend all to herself and a field where she can gallop her heart out and burn off  both calories and some mental energy.


Pals - Grace and Toastie

All told, the horses are safe and seem to be happy. My holiday didn't get cancelled.  Solar's bum is healing nicely with no swelling thanks to Chelsea's diligent use of the red light and clay.

Four days after the kick.

I have never said 'thank you' so many times to a horse as I did that afternoon to Toastie, out aloud and in my head.  I only wish my husband knew the debt we (as a family) owe her without whom, I would not have been on that plane the next day!  (Second thoughts perhaps it's best he doesn't know not being a "horsey nut" himself)!


Toastie our Heroine!

I am a lucky girl and we are a lucky horse and human family, for which I am extremely grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment