Monday 19 January 2015

Vicious Circles and Red Shoes

Have you ever glanced out of a car window and caught a glimpse of something on the other side of the road that reminds you of how far away from your real life you are, right now?


I was being driven along a Belgium highway the A102 heading to Brussels airport, on a rainy afternoon, and on the opposite side of the carriageway I saw a car pulling a horse trailer and in a nano second I heard my thoughts cluster into a mass of "there's my other life -  the real me going past"!

"IT" (your real life) can sometimes seem so far away.  At my side was a designer handbag and briefcase, IPhone, Mac laptop  and swaths of budget documents. I was destined for a London meeting scheduled in a few hours time. How important I must be - being chauffeur driven at speed to my next appointment in an other country! Yet, in fact how very unimportantt I actually felt in life's grand scheme of things and my overall life's purpose.



In that moment, where would I rather have been - 'suited and booted' in a speeding car or pulling a horse trailer in my muck boots and baseball cap?  How did I get to be so far away from my 'True North?'

The answer is complex.  The more horses I have the more I have to leave them to work to pay for them, watching others enjoy nature and being outdoors.  To stop working means no horses, hence the vicious circle!  Agghhh!   If only I could find my red shoes to take me back home!



Some say... 'be careful what you ask for in life....' To prove a point within just a few months of that rainy thought provoking drive,  I was looking after 9 horses (including my own herd of 3), 24 x 7 for 8 straight days.  

The physical regime was a shock to the system for sure.  Not just the mucking out, muck heap stepping, and yard sweeping but all the walking involved!  I had my step counter going and cranked up between 22,000 and 31,000 steps a day! Needless to say I shed some pounds, toned up legs and arms and inherited a few deep shoulder knots - all very welcome losses and gains!

It felt fantastic to be outside all day long.  I felt alive and inspired unlocking gates at 7am before daylight, on my own with only the dawn's chorus of crows keeping me company.

I loved the end of the day, doing late night checks, just me and the horses, everyone relaxed and quietly munching hay.  I'd never have known hay munching could sound so relaxing over-shadowed only by the call of night Owls. 


It was a treat to find my guys snoozing peacefully in their beds  - I too slept like a baby!

Essy


I guess we discover a few things about ourselves when we leap into someone else's shoes and life for a week.

Inside the boots of a yard manager revealed the immense responsibility that comes with looking after other people's horses and property.  You watch every cloud and study every TV weather forecast for signs you need to lock down anything the wind could take, or vary the horse's routine for tomorrow.  At times being on your own you realise the risks you take - of injury, accident or just hitting problems on your own.

Then there's the daily challenge of "Rug Management" which in my view should be a compulsory curriculum topic at school. There's all the different weights, liners, neck attachments, leg straps, belly straps, breaking straps, rugs that dry over night and rugs that don't.


It was a unique experience to have friends and family turn up at work to help out!  In my corporate day job there's no way 'the old woman' could show up and chip in!

Here she is collecting rubbish, and climbing fences en route to filling in rabbit holes!

Old Woman at Work!


Old Woman fence climbing at 76!

It's also heartwarming and inspiring when someone else's mum turns up for a morning's hard labour for some muck heap compression!

Muck Heap Jumping!

I did learn that when you spend 28 years of your life in one career, it's hard to leave it totally behind you as you step into another line of work.  For me, it was impossible not to turn each day into a tightly managed agenda with each activity timed to precision to make sure each day was fully productive.

Given another week at the helm and I like to think I'd have found the space to let go of thoughts of productivity and efficiency but who knows, maybe that habit is a part of my personality and drive, and nothing to do with my chosen career?

I'd have lost a lot more weight too - a great feeling to fit in clothes comfortably and not crave sugar and food all day long despite such a physical workout!

It's good to try your hand at something new.  I felt lucky to have a brief glimpse into a lifestyle I've often wondered if I could do.  Would I want to, long term?  Could I do it?  Its been a privilege and honour to have some up to date insight to help me work all that out.....!

My final thanks for a great week in my life go to my herd and Mr Esquire for keeping us all going with a friendly nudge and cuddle -  when we were ready to drop!

Essy Demanding Cuddles!

2 comments:

  1. Really beautiful, Deb. I loved every word, picture, message and insight. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know how it will 'speak' to you more than anyone else I know!

      Delete