Thursday 22 January 2015

Where have all the Horses gone?




I've arrived in London and am now sitting in front of  a bowl of steaming porridge, waiting to go into one of those huge, opulent (and life sucking) office towers in the Finance District.  It's a far step away from the farm, freah air and my horses.

Sitting here, it's so easy to slip into a life of on hand cappuccino's, convenience and coffee shops.


For me, what's most important about today is the need to stay connected to my other real life the one beyond jargon strewn sentences and ego filled chairs.  It's on these unproductive 'office days', when I have physically left behind me a world of frost tinged beauty and crisp crunchy earth, that I have to keep reminding myself -  "I''ll be back there tomorrow!" Thank God!

The relief and appreciation I feel knowing city life is temporary, made me ponder today the very opposite scenario and what it would be like, to be in a world without horses.

Nature is in a horse's DNA and their DNA is within Nature.  Species of all sizes, shapes and origins seem to be more alive, aware and in tune with who they are,  than most humans I encounter.  Who has the greater intelligence, really?!

So, imagine a day where horses would no longer exist! As you drive through the countryside, down narrow lanes, fields either side - there's not a horse in sight!


Would you notice?  Would you wonder what happened? Who would care?

I suspect many thousands of us would be devastated, noticing the gaping hole in the landscape and feeling a huge loss and fear of how to fill the casm?

It doesn't worry me on a daily basis per say, yet the readiness with which we misuse nature and her gifts,  in an age of so called 'reason' does make me pause and ponder life without such treasures.  I'm shocked and saddened when children grow up without knowing what a Fox is or looks like.  When children don't play on beaches, in woods, in streams or run through fields.

Grace having fun
So full of life!



On a personal note I couldn't be without horses in my life.  Grace (my youngest horse) is currently 9.  I am 50.  Hoping and expecting that she will live into her late 20's I will be 70!  My husband is horrified at the thought of another 20 years of 'horses first' in my life's priority list!  I remind him he has plenty of time to get used to the idea!

I don't worry about my ability to look after her in her old age.  I just worry that when she's no longer around I'll be too old to take on another.  How would I live?  What will fill my soul every waking hour? What would I fill my time with?  How will I be inspired and rejuvenated on a daily basis?

TV won't ever match up that's for sure.  Clever conversation - well maybe!  It makes me realise the importance of knowing your life's 'calling', purpose and passion - and to fill every waking moment with as much of 'it' as you can get,  until the day we close our eyes for that long deep sleep!

If we could are granted one wish, I hope it would be to keep our horses healthy, happy, and very much an important part of our lives and landscape. They touch is such unexplainable ways and I believe we need that - ours and their freedom is inextricably entwined.  Good!



No comments:

Post a Comment