Wednesday 4 March 2015

"To Know or Not To Know" that was my question in July 2014


A small break from horses...


On 28th July 2014 the nurse took a blood sample at my request with a view to checking out that all was well - a general health check you might say.

Whilst I was there I mentioned that I was having lots of heart flutters, and pins and needles in my arms.   The nurse matter of factually offered to take an ECG reading there and then.  Five minutes later and it was all done and dusted.  I felt pleased with myself, very grown up!

Apparently the doctor would look at the ECG results that same afternoon and call me to discuss.


Four weeks later and I had received no such communication or any other form of contact from the doctor so I called in - hopeful I could collect both the ECG and Blood test results.

Long story short (of poor service and no follow through by the medical profession) and I was to make an appointment to see the doctor who would discuss it all with me.  That was set up for 9.40am on 1st September.

The doctor was running late so I sat and waited and waited.  My heart fluttering was now something I lived with on a daily basis someday it would literally stop me in my tracks and other days I was unable to sleep at night thinking my chest would explode.  The pins and needles were every morning, one or both arms from the elbow down.  Regardless of  whether I woke up on my side or back.  I was growing increasingly concerned.

At around 11am I left the doctors office having learnt the following two things: -

1. The routine blood test had failed to include the important cholesterol test - the doctor couldn't explain why
and,

2. My heart had an irregularity.  A blocked right something or other, which was deemed to be within the 'normal acceptable' tolerance levels but something else that the doctor couldn't explain and would need further investigation.

I was to come back before the week was out, and re-do the blood test.  The doctor was to book me into the Hospital to be fitted to wear a heart monitor for 24 hours.

It's hard to know what to think when someone says something is wrong, more tests are needed, and if you get any pain in your chest you are to go straight to hospital. It's never great news and there's never a good time but somehow 5 days before you and your family leave for 2 weeks holiday felt very scary!

I decided "business as usual" - I would not say a word to my family, I would get the next blood test done and await my hospital appointment for after the hols.

At least (I told myself) I will have two weeks of sunshine to rest and relax in.

I went on holiday to Mauritius and said nothing to anyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment