Wednesday 19 March 2014

Letting go of the "Leadership" Reins!

In an earlier blog I toyed with the idea of letting my horse lead me for a change.

It's early days into the process but here are some of my reflections on what has been a really valuable experience.

'Ah-has'...


The first thing I noticed was how my brain immediately tried to 'plan' the session!  Yes, I actually began to create a mental map of how I would NOT Lead, including all the things I would not do, which left me bereft of what I actually would be doing!   (Guess it's a pretty foreign concept for me right?!)

I found myself thinking 'what kind of a person needs to plan how they will follow another?'

Don't you just do it?  Answer? Yes, but following is a skill that requires close observation, being present, letting go of control,  being non judgemental and spontaneous,  and, of course a willingness to wait for something to happen!  None of which describes my normal 'Modus Operandi'!

(Needless to say I caught myself 'mid-planning' and had a good giggle and stopped!)

So, what did I do?

I lead Grace into the menage, shut the gate, and stood stock still.  After a few glances at me (where I'm sure I could hear her saying 'well aren't you going to do something?') -  she walked off.   That was my cue to follow.

When she stopped I stopped

Whatever caught her attention;  gained mine!

Where she looked; my eyes went too

When she exhaled, I let go and exhaled

When she turned to go in the opposite direction I was at her side

However long she stood and observed something in the distance, I held my gaze too.

I didn't dive my nose literally into the rubber and sand when she did to take a long sniff (maybe next time), but I did kneel down to get much closer to it.

Throughout our evening saunter, I found myself utterly fascinated by how she experiences life and what this life might actually be like for her. Some of those observations that fascinated me, were:-

What does rubber and sand smell like to a horse? 
How can it be so easy for a horse to stand motionless watching something for five minutes straight?
What makes them then move off, or change direction?
What gets their attention?
What are they thinking? 
How do they process information?
What can they small on the wind, in the air, on the human at their side?
What do they make of our requests to go round in circles seemingly without purpose, outcome or process?
What constitutes fun for them, if that concept applies?
When is sniffing 'enough' and turns into time to move on?

Some moments of intrigue for Grace...


 (Needless to say I did have to intervene before I lost my rear windshield!)


(I know the pitch fork shouldn't have been there, but a clinically barren environment doesn't feel authentic for me or her so please forgive it's presence)!


As we sauntered around the menage without head collar or rope (unlike in the above videos), I can honestly say it was fun to just be there with no reason other than to observe and study my horse as she explored things and places, sights and sounds.



It was a joy not to be making all the decisions and wondering was I communicating clearly, respectfully and effectively?  It was great not to have the responsibility for balancing exercise, stretching and fitness.  Interestingly we had no cartwheels or spooks and nor did I at any time feel unsafe or have cause to question hers!

It was a very peaceful, refreshing evening.  I loved so many things about 'following' not 'leading', including:-

a horse can be intrigued by simply absorbing information
a horse seems to follow the same rules as we do i.e. 'minimal effort, maximum result'
a horse will naturally savour moments for freedom of expression, adventure and exploration


as Francesco de Giorgi says in his book 'The Cognitive Horse' ...

 "you can bring a horse to 'your environment' or bring 'your environment' to your horse"


Given a choice and left alone, how would your horse pass his time?  Will he alternate between being the leader and being the follower? He unreservedly knows the difference, the question is do we?

A final thought from Francesco De Giorgio's book, reads:

"only when you give horses the space, the context, and the time to create their own experience, their own learning, their own sharing, when you focus on their quality of life, will you see the horse as he is"

My 'agenda free' time has certainly made me question how in the past I have not seen the Horse for the horse, and I'm now very keen to continue to explore "The Horse Within", with each of my individual horses.  I'll be reporting back in due course!


No comments:

Post a Comment