Saturday 23 March 2013

Even the obvious - isn't always clear!

When Essy started to lick Margrit's hands at the end of his healing with her, it was a huge emotional moment for me.  It was such a shock to see him licking her hands and with such gusto that I assumed it was a relaxation response to the healing, or maybe even a sign of affection towards her.  Much like a dog licks our face.

It is only now some weeks later, having caught back up with Margrit and seen her recent article (see link below), that Ive had my eyes opened yet again!



Essy was Margrit's first animal consultation since she had an operation on her hand. Bandages had recently been removed and she was undergoing physio.  As her article explains Essy sensed the pain in her hand and the licking was his way of adding to her healing process.  "You scratch my back and ill scratch yours" kind of a thing!

Isn't it wonderful to think that horses and humans can be so in tune and so loving towards each other - without force or training?  I can't help but wonder what else awaits us in our relationship with our horses?  How else could it be? The possibilities seem endless if we just keep our minds open and avoid reaching hasty conclusions based on our current mind set and myths.  My hasty conclusion about his licking being a response to the healing has had me offering my hands daily to him in the hope he would lick me too.  Perhaps if I injure myself i the future he'll lick me too.  Until then I have no need to feel disappointed or left out.  Thank you Essy and Margrit. 

http://www.joomag.com/magazine/international-lifestyle-magazine-issue-45/0781124001363114766

(Margrit's article starts on page 20)

No comments:

Post a Comment