Monday 22 July 2013

Life as it should be... "a walk in the park"!

Sunday, Mid July,  30 Degrees heat...


I joined a group riding lesson for the first time since childhood, at noon on Sunday.  Out of the 6 of us in the class I was the only one over the age of 12!  At first I thought 'how weird it was going to feel' but actually, I loved it from start to finish.

The second shock came when the instructor called me over by name and said " we probably didn't mention on the phone that this is a jumping class!"  Oh S***T

I haven't jumped for over 34 years!  I found myself thinking ridiculous thoughts like "it must be like riding a bike - you don't forget" right!?

Long story short it was a blast.  A few kiddies fell off, but I was able to slip into sports psych mode as I parked my stead along side and had a little off the cuff chat rider to rider!  Child rider back on board, and over the fence safely - all was well.

Inspired by how much fun I'd had, with absolutely no fear (although I felt a little self conscious at times) I drove over to my yard to spend the afternoon with my own equine family.

It was suddenly so obvious that I've been taking horse ownership very seriously over recent years.  The more Ive had my eyes opened up about how to care for my horses in a different way from how I have during the past 3 decades, the more Ive felt an increasing sense of responsibility to 'get it right' and provide a perfect life for them. Honouring their needs isn't easy when you aren't a land owner and have to work for a living.  At times Ive been aware that there hasn't been much light relief!

Now I was reminded what it felt like to be a kid having fun with your horse or pony.  To do things spontaneously, believing it will be fine.  No second doubts.  

So, 2 hours later, Essy, myself and my 76 year old mother (who came to visit with a handbag full of perfectly cut carrots), went off the property for a walk in hand, through the Estate Park.

An hour later we returned safe, sound, very warm and happy inside and out.

It was a 'moment to savour' - a happy memory. Essy was amazing.  He walked behind me patiently when the path narrowed, he strolled contentedly at my side when it widened.  He snacked occasionally drawn to a spot on the ground by smell.  He didn't grab for grass, he never once pulled at the rope.  He even seemed to be left alone by the flies!

Even this wasn't the pinnacle of my pleasure.  The real joy came in watching Essy interact with my very 'non horsey' elderly mum.  Despite being only 5 foot in height and always afraid of horses, the two of them now have an incredible bond.  A bond that only formed after Essy had met with Margrit.  Since February 11th he has been gentle with my mum, considerate (human sentiment I know) and allows her to be affectionate towards him.  All totally new behaviours around her.  She revels in his recent acceptance of her.

As my mother tip toed her way through the long grasses, stopping to examine a meadow herb or plant.  Each time, she would turn and address Essy- as if he is her human grandson who understands her every word, and say...  "Essy what about this herb, do you want to try it". No matter what Essy was engrossed in, or where he was, he would look up at her and walk straight over to explore what was in her hand.  No delay.  Instant.  It was as if he really does speak fluent human English.  It was so moving.  All I could do was stand back and watch.  I soaked it up as a memory that I'm sure many women will liken to the pride and love they feel when their own offspring bond with an elderly parent.

It was hard to be present minded enough to grab my camera to capture it,  as each moment had me lost in space.  However a few snaps might convey some of the peace of our very memorable, walk in Swallowfield Park.





No comments:

Post a Comment