Friday 15 February 2013

When Something Bad; Turns Out To Be Good...

May 2012 and Essy started to have nose bleeds down his left nostril.  I was about to go on holiday and remember sitting in Heathrow airport looking up Equine nose bleeds on Google.  This was not a sensible thing to do when you are leaving the country and your horse.   By the time I had boarded, I was filled with panic, had scared myself to death and booked the vet for my first day back!


Less than a week later and the vet was telling me he suspected an infected tooth root was the cause.  There was some logic to this which was also his initial phone diagnosis because in February a tooth had broken off in the Vet's hand following a night of sudden and unexplained quidding.

The vet recommended operating meaning they would drill a hole in the side of Essy's head, knock out the infected tooth and voila!  The nose bleeds should stop.  Of course he's likely to get sinusitis but that's inevitable.  Step 1 was to treat the infection (before an operation could be done) with antibiotics.

I was not happy.  Firstly the operation sounded horrendous.  No way did I want a hole drilling in the side of my boy's head unless it was life saving.   Secondly,  could an infected tooth root really cause nose bleeds?  I just didn't know.  If there was an infection why is there no smell or no discharge?   Wouldn't he feel some discomfort and start quidding his hay again? It just didn't make sense but I only had my 'gut' instinct to go on.

Choosing between 'instincts' and your learn-ed vet's opinion and training was a massive stress inducer. But I kept feeling the vet had picked up a hammer and was looking for a nail regardless of what else might be on offer as a diagnosis.

To buy myself some time, I put Essy on the antibiotics.  Within a few days the nose bleeds had gone from one a day to at least three a day!  At the end of the course, the vet seemed  surprised to hear this and there was a slight change to the tone of his voice.  I took this as my cue and cancelled the op!  That was June 27th 2012.

Since then the nose bleeds have come and gone.  Some days and weeks they've been more frequent than others. There is no pattern. Weather, temperature, exercise, bedding type nothing has revealed itself as a potential trigger.




I've consulted holistic colleagues and have offered him a variety of essential oils and herbs.  Ive even been on a course and purchased two photonic red lights from America to use around his sinus area.  I've had  the FlexiNeb people out to fit him with a face nebular. At times I see a positive improvement then suddenly a relapse.  I should say at this point that Essy seems totally UN-phased by the bleeds - more than can be said for me!

January this year, and for whatever reason the bleeds were frequent again and I grew more concerned.  I knew I wanted to explore non invasive solutions before contacting the vet again, and this is what lead me to pick up the phone to Margrit.  I just wondered is it possible that Essy could tell Margrit what was going on or any possible cause?

The day I called Margrit the nose bleeds stopped.  It was super noticeable aided by the fact I keep a diary of everything the horses do/ don't do so I have a detailed record.  I decided to mention it to her in case she had been doing any distance healing.  Four days before she arrived he suddenly had one small one as we stood outside the club house.   Still I decided to mention it on the Sunday.

Margrit said that strangely enough some other clients had reported a 'shift or change' in a situation from the day they had booked her although she hadn't been consciously thinking of, or doing anything.

We proceeded with the treatment.   An emotional, releasing treatment with insight, humour, sadness, apologies, pain and relief.  Then right at the end there was a nose bleed.  For the first time, standing in his stable with Margrit I began to wonder  - could the bleeds be linked to an emotional need for release?  Here he was oozing blood only minutes after being "heard"  for the first time in his life?

Since Sunday, he has had one other very tiny bleed immediately after his Parelli session.  Again could that have been a sign of an emotional outpouring?  He wanted to come out and play, we heard him, we acted on that information and gave him what he wanted.  Could such relief promote a bleed?   

Truth is I don't yet know.  However, I am strangely calm about the bleeds after months of worry.   In my coaching work I explain to people that the body tries to get our attention in many different ways. 

When we suffer a fall, an illness, an injury, or worse a disease - it is the bodies way of trying to get our attention.  Usually it wants us to focus on an aspect of our life or some repressed, denied emotion  buried deep.  Of course the longer we continue to ignore the signs ( I call them whispers) the more the body raises the volume.  Suddenly we find ourselves tripping up all the time, or hurting one knee the same knee over and over!  The more we ignore our body's messages the harder it works to get our attention.

I have learned that an injury or illness on the right side of our body is a message to look at our relationships  with men, and or, our career.  Issues with our left side point to relationships with women.  As a woman, this would mean looking at the relationship I have with myself!

Back to Essy. He is male, his bleeds have always and only been on the left side of his head so if I follow my workings with people then this suggests he needs to evaluate his relationship with women or a woman.  His owner (me) is female,  His field companion is female (Solar Sue).  His mother was of course female.  Any other women in his life aren't known to me!  (No wonder his stable is a mess some mornings)!

Could he be bottling up some emotion towards or about me, his mother or field mate?  If so, what is the message? What does he need in order to deal with the cause of his pain or built up emotion?    Now to the heart wrenching part.  From the study of metaphysics the symbology of nose bleeds is this: "a need for recognition.  Feeling un-recognised and unnoticed.   Crying for love"   A runny nose (which has often accompanied his bleeds) is symbolic of "inner crying.  Asking for help".   


In a simple explanation what if the following describes the cause of his bleeds... 'he has not had an outlet for his repressed feelings of isolation (emotional isolation).  He has had a deep sadness stemming back to when he was taken (too soon) from his mother.   He has been confused about what humans expected of him for several years.  He has deep thoughts and feelings about what its' like to be a horse around humans. 

He wants things to change for horses in the future; he doesn't want to be ridden any more but has no outlet to express that; he wants to be heard but has no means of communication; he's been trying to tell someone but no one is listening'... so the bleeds which 8/10  happened in my presence (often the moment I arrived on the yard which I have joked about being 'to get my attention' and only now as I write am I realising with such regret that it was and deep down I must have known this to have joked about it) - they were his only way of trying to get my attention. After all, as his carer I am the only one that can do something to help.   I just wasn't looking in the right direction to be able to hear him.   

Then Margrit came along...



On some level, the day I booked Margrit to come, did Essy know that help was close at hand?  Could it be that he no longer felt the need to bleed  to 'get my attention'- safe in the knowledge that he would  soon be heard?  I (like you) talk to my horses all the time and I told him Margrit was coming to talk to him and help us.  I even kept telling him when we had to re-schedule her appointment.  

One week ago I might have thought these things but would not have aired them.  Now I WANT to air them and quickly.  It's Essy's wishes that I do so.  I have an uncanny feeling that we are on to something significant and strange to think I may soon have his nose bleeds to thank for revealing so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment