Thursday 28 February 2013

Is There A Doctor Dolittle In Us All?

What if there is? ...

How might we live our life's differently?  I may be hated for admitting this but for the last 16 years whenever I had an important decision to make in my life, it was to my dogs Creina and Tabatha that I turned.  Ultimately of course the decision was mine, but on each occasion I involved them thoroughly and never strayed from this collaborative process.



Tabatha recently died aged 16.  I am adrift without her in so many ways.  Essy has always had her spirit always made me laugh just the way Tabatha did.  Coming closer to him now is especially poignant for me.

Most of us probably grew up with a special friend; fury, human, imagined or real.  As children talking to fairies in the garden, God on the hill, or imaginary horses seemed so normal.   No one condemned us and we didn't censor or second guess ourselves. 

So what if these skills are just a little rusty or present but denied in case we fess up and should feel a bit silly?  What if talking unchecked, spontaneously, full of passion and imagination are still in us all?  What would we become?  We might even be able to live a full and emotionally expressive life with our human companions as well as our animals ones.

Before I left for holiday, I spent some quite time with Essy in his stable.  I had noticed that while in hand in the menage he kept choosing to halt and each time, kicking out backwards a hind leg - first one then the other.   I felt a slight dread as I always do with a change in behaviour - was he angry, was he in pain?  What was bothering him? How could I help?

In the stable I decided to rest my hands on him as if grooming with out brushes and notice what I noticed. Everything seemed normal until I reached his tail.  As I stood there he swung his head round and looked at me.  Calm and quiet as if saying ' yes that's the spot'.  I lifted his tail as I often do and felt tension in it.  It was heavy and stiff. Not relaxed and supple as usual.  I did a couple of gentle tail pulls and releases.  It was then that I heard Margrit's words in my head 'Essy has pain in his cocci - did you know that'?   I moved one of my hands onto the top of his tail and rested it there as lightly as I could thinking over and over in my head  "I'm here to help, here to heal".  Again he looked around at me and held my gaze.

He hasn't kicked out again since.

What happened?  What was it all about?  I'm not sure I know.  Except that horses always do things for a reason.  Just like us!  He must have had some tension or energy block in his tail and kicking out was his way of finding a release.  I was able to add to his release  by exploring, observing and actually doing very little in deed. 

Now there's a lesson in life!  Less is more once again.  I'm learning a lot and fast!  Thanks to my new found teacher.

Back to my question of can anyone talk to the animals?  I don't know but surely any one can observe, notice, enquire and listen for feedback!


No comments:

Post a Comment